Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!

Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!
Daddy's Girl

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog.

Life greatly changed as Darren and I welcomed Greta Claire to the family. I started this blog 5 weeks pre-parenthood; I thought I would learn to Blog as a hobby and to occupy my time when I was awaiting baby and tried my best to continue through her first year of life to document some of the ups and downs, funny moments, scary moments, etc. While I greatly enjoy sharing our adventures, it has been hard to stay committed to regular posts, but I certainly will do my best as our little girl is now 6 years old and full of comic relief, bright ideas and the most amazing quotes! So, enjoy the adventures of Gail and Greta, I somehow seem to find the most interesting things each day, so this is the truth blog, how things really are, what I'm really thinking and feeling....it could be interesting!



Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas - a year in review "newsletter style"

Greetings readers...

I have thought for years I should write a Christmas Newsletter, but quite frankly, I’m at my most creative and inspired when I’m pondering life, future circumstances and venting on my blog (which sadly, has only been updated twice this year) - so, that either means I don’t have an ounce of creativity left in me or no time to sit and write, as I know the year was full of things to vent and chat about!  But, since we turned down repeated requests for interviews from People Magazine and the National Enquirer, we are going to share the exclusive of our rollercoaster year with you, in the Edgett-Gallant Newsletter.

Since it is the holiday season, it does seem fitting to mention that we have not been invited to one holiday party, come to think of it, we rarely get an invite to do anything.  We are starting to wonder if people think we are contagious, it’s not like we have much of a life – we are free –  have to admit we do watch the clock and can barely stay up until 10pm, but that is a minor detail.  
I promise, this won’t be an annual family newsletter that will be full of kid tidbits and phenomenal accomplishments experienced throughout the year…no…I recognize no one really wants to read that and I actually just chuckled typing “phenomenal accomplishments” as besides miraculously keeping a fish alive for the past 3 months, I wouldn’t have much more to brag about.  Sure we have an adorable little girl, who is smart as a cookie (are cookies really smart – what a silly saying), but she is, the child is brilliant, but that is all, no more bragging…I mean, she is beautiful too and is going to have amazing hair and long eyelashes, but that is all.  Well, maybe the fact that she is obsessed with letters and can spell her name already is worth mentioning…but that is it…oh maybe one more thing, this one is really impressive she thus far has not turned on the little bully at her gymnastics class – although I’m considering giving her pointers on how to knock the little brat to the floor!
So my goal is not to bore you but rather compose a newsletter worthy of your time ... the struggle is “what to highlight”.

Highlights of 2012•    We are all alive – you may think this isn’t too hard to accomplish, but let me tell you, between Darren defrosting meat all day on the cupboard (how he hasn’t become ill from salmonella poisoning remains a mystery), and well, I am just an unhealthy creature, being alive is pretty impressive.  And while many doubted my ability to keep a child alive (I admit, I was the biggest skeptic), we have managed to do remarkably well with Greta – we have remembered to feed her each day, neither of us has forgotten her in the house and we have never left her accidentally out in public. Now, I admit, we have to do better with teeth brushing, you wouldn’t think this task would be hard to remember…but our goal for 2013 is to ensure she doesn’t have tons of cavities.
•    Greatest thing happened this year – Canadians can now take $800 across the border without having to pay duty – you may not think this is big – but it has greatly reduced what I owe at the border!
•    We didn't lose any money in the stock market – not hard since we didn’t have any money to put in to the stock market – I’ll blame my shopping habits and Greta’s wardrobe.
•    We had a lovely trip to New Hampshire planned for our anniversary – full of shopping, relaxation and the White Mountains – alas, two days before our trip Darren realized his passport was expired – he is alive – that is the highlight!!!
•    The animals both remained rather healthy – believe me, after the 2010-2011 Vet Bills this is definitely big news.  I could have paid for Greta’s first year of university with that money – granted, she is so smart, we are sure she’ll get a scholarship!!! 
•    I managed to read 3 books - the 50 Shades of Grey series.  I may have to read them again in 2013.  Impressive, not the fact that I read, but the books!
•    I survived a week in the hospital in October, after pancreatitis, crohns and liver disease struck me down - how is that for a downer line.  The good news is, I survived, the nurses who missed my veins every time they needed to give me a needle survived and my bad behavior while in the hospital did not get me kicked out. 

So, that is a few highlights to catch you up on our year.  As we embark on the holidays, we are trying to keep up with Greta’s wish list, amazing at two years old that she can tell us all the things she “needs” from the Sears Wish Book - my goal now is to not have her change her mind daily on what Santa is going to bring.  We are confident it will be a very fun and exciting Christmas for her and I hope the same for you and your loved ones.

We wish you good health and happiness this holiday season and plenty of time to do what is important to you in the coming year.

Merry Christmas from our home to yours,

Gail, Darren and Greta Claire
Scarlet & Casanova
   

No comments:

Post a Comment