Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!

Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!
Daddy's Girl

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog.

Life greatly changed as Darren and I welcomed Greta Claire to the family. I started this blog 5 weeks pre-parenthood; I thought I would learn to Blog as a hobby and to occupy my time when I was awaiting baby and tried my best to continue through her first year of life to document some of the ups and downs, funny moments, scary moments, etc. While I greatly enjoy sharing our adventures, it has been hard to stay committed to regular posts, but I certainly will do my best as our little girl is now 6 years old and full of comic relief, bright ideas and the most amazing quotes! So, enjoy the adventures of Gail and Greta, I somehow seem to find the most interesting things each day, so this is the truth blog, how things really are, what I'm really thinking and feeling....it could be interesting!



Monday, September 5, 2016

Grade 1 - How did this happen?

Welcome back to my blog, I have neglected it for quite some time.  Alas, another milestone is upon us, one that I am so happy I am here to witness.  Tomorrow Miss Greta is off to Grade 1.  I remember this night one year ago, it was certainly a different feeling than what I am experiencing tonight.  Last year, I was filled with worry and concern, would my shy little girl speak up, would she be able to get up the steps on the big bus and would she make friends easily.  Tonight, I feel calm and confident she will do amazing.  Greta has been so excited to return to school, I am in awe of her confidence and desire to return.  I of course worry if she will know kids in her class, but she quickly says, "I know all the kids, it doesn't matter who is in my class"!  Considering the number of birthday parties she attended this past year, I am starting to think she may be right!

She has been practicing her math, spelling and reading for the past week (asking for homework strangely enough) and tonight, perhaps in an effort to avoid an early bed time, wanted to count by 2's, 5's and 10's to 100....smart tactic to avoid bed if you ask me.

So, a little note to my smart, confident, beautiful 6 year old....

Dear Greta,

Another year has come and gone and I am so very proud of you.  After an amazing summer, you are more than ready to tackle Grade 1.  Besides how much you have grown (literally, 2 sizes in the past year), you have grown in so many positive ways.  Your confidence is something I wish I had, both as a child and even now.  Your shyness seems to have been replaced with an energy and desire to learn, meet new people, participate in activities and try new things - how amazing at 6.  Your dress is picked out, hair style decided, book bag packed and lunch chosen - I think we are ready for you to walk up the bus steps and off to school. 

I do still worry.  I worry that there will be bullies, that you will get hurt and no one will be there hovering like I do, I worry you will find yourself on the wrong bus and will get lost, I fear mean girls and pray you will never, ever be one and, most important I am so scared that I won't be around to see you continue to grow.  I am not fearful of boys as A) I think you can outrun them and B) I dare say you may have a good left hook!  The only thing that brings tears to my eyes is the fear that I will not be able to be here to watch all of your firsts. While so many will shed tears tomorrow watching their little ones go off to school, I will watch with great pride and am so very thankful that I have made it to this milestone with you.  While I know you and Daddy will be fine, I still don't want you to have to experience a childhood without me, no child should have to have a sick Mommy.  Although I am so thankful it is me that is sick and not you.

So, my wishes for you as you start Grade 1:

Remain exactly as you are - sweet, soft spoken yet confident, eager to try new things, a good and kind friend and smart of course.
You don't have to be friends with everyone, but you do have to be nice to everyone.
Try new things.
Act silly, dance, sing ... Have fun!
Remember at the concerts and plays - Mommy and Daddy are the only ones watching you - everyone else is focused on their own kids.
If you encounter a bully - tell the teacher, the principal and Mommy and Daddy.
Be kind to those kids on the buddy bench and ask them to play.
Always make friends with the new kid - they don't know anyone and could use a kind friend.
Work hard, and don't worry about getting everything right!
Be kind to the bus driver, the janitor, the teachers and all those that help you at school.
Stay away from the bad boys!
Listen to your teachers.
Say please and thank you - I mean it - Santa is listening!
I hope you remember your teachers and talk to your little girl someday about them, just like Mommy did tonight.

And most importantly, have an amazing year.  It will fly by just as quickly as the past six years.  I hope you meet amazing friends, that you love your teacher, that you participate in everything you can and that Grade 1 is all that you hope it will be.  Good luck little girl, you are off to great places - and I will be watching (aka, I will be following the bus!)

You are the best miracle we never knew we needed, take Grade 1 by storm!
Love Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment