Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!

Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!
Daddy's Girl

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog.

Life greatly changed as Darren and I welcomed Greta Claire to the family. I started this blog 5 weeks pre-parenthood; I thought I would learn to Blog as a hobby and to occupy my time when I was awaiting baby and tried my best to continue through her first year of life to document some of the ups and downs, funny moments, scary moments, etc. While I greatly enjoy sharing our adventures, it has been hard to stay committed to regular posts, but I certainly will do my best as our little girl is now 6 years old and full of comic relief, bright ideas and the most amazing quotes! So, enjoy the adventures of Gail and Greta, I somehow seem to find the most interesting things each day, so this is the truth blog, how things really are, what I'm really thinking and feeling....it could be interesting!



Friday, September 17, 2010

Addicted...

My name is Gail, it has been 3 hours and 16 minutes since my last purchase and Ebay is currently open on the computer...I am a shopping addict.

Okay, you are not shocked, but the first step in the program is to admit my problem. Well, it's not really my problem, it gives me great pleasure, and I have known for a long time that when I die, I can't take money with me (or debt), so I'll leave instructions that in lieu of donations you can leave a payment in my memory to Mastercard (not that I'm planning on dying - go back one blog, I'm going to be a good patient and take my meds and make sure my liver doesn't fail). But I greatly enjoy shopping - I buy for me, buy for others, buy for Christmas and Halloween and Birthdays. And I like a Bargain...oh dear, the jingle for the Christmas Tree Shops just popped in my head, lets all sing "Don't you just love a bargain!" I have mastered the ability to spend in a limited amount of time too, it's almost a challenge, tonight on my way to meet some friends, I had 30 minutes, I managed to get to the grocery store and a going out of business baby store, walked out with two full bags of goodies, made it to supper...and what do you know, I have 36 minutes before the mall closes after dinner...Do I drive by the mall..of course not. I walk in to the mall with 16 minutes to spare before closing time, which essentially means I have about 1 minute before they start announcing they want you out of the store, 6 minutes before the sales staff start herding you towards the cash and finally they'll kick you out. Well, I managed to find a new pair of pjs, a new sweater and sigh - two new outfits for Greta...Pretty impressive considering I needed nothing. Well, maybe Greta needed something. It was pointed out today that Greta appeared in a picture wearing the same outfit as an earlier photo...not from the same day...how embarrassing...ha! How embarrassing is right, the child does have a lovely wardrobe, but believe it or not, I don't have something new for every day I have my favorites, but people think she has 365 outfits to cover the year. She has tons of fall clothes, which are required considering the cooler temperatures now, but I bought them in bigger sizes mostly before she was born, I am still having to purchase smaller clothes...so that is the reasoning behind a few more outfits. I mean, I can't have her wearing little dresses and freezing, she needs warmer things in the small size until she grows in to the fall line up. And we have sibling rivalry at this house, Scarlet seems to be doing quite well with Greta's requirement for items, as she seems to win out and get a toy each time I'm out. I feel guilty! Have you seen this dogs eyes, you would feel guilty too. I can imagine her saying, great, she use to buy me presents, now that kid gets everything. Almost breaks my heart when I take Greta out to the truck and Scarlet watches from the window wanting so desperately to come with us. Thankfully, Scarlet is always so appreciative of presents, it's adorable actually. She'll sit in the kitchen until I give her the new item and she will proudly walk around with it and guard it for days, it becomes the "new" favorite!

So, we won't solve this addiction over night, but first step was writing down that I do recognize the shopping is an issue. I have decided this year to cut back on Xmas - I say this every year - and have succeeded to some extent, no one needs anything and in many cases, I buy for the sake of buying. So, I have decided to pay it forward and buy things for people who will really appreciate it / who deserve it / who need a break and it would make a difference, and I may just start early. I'm actually in the Christmas mood - have to get my favorite Halloween holiday over with first, but I'm already envisioning my house ready for Christmas.

Well, this blog is about a whole lot of nothing, like a Seinfeld Episode. I'll summarize a few little things about the last 24 hours:
  • Greta only caused us to be 40 minutes late for a Big Brother Finale Party with my co-workers last evening (Thanks S&J for the hospitality). And she slept the entire time. I fully admitted she was a little crank prior to our departure, she really can scream - I am not one of those who will say, I don't understand, she never is like this - we admit, she has her moments. Thankfully they really are few and far between, she is extremely mellow and relaxed, and doesn't cry much, but when she feels like crying, she really, really cries!

  • Greta had a pretty good sleep Wed. night, remained in bed for an extra hour in the AM because of the trusty old soother - granted it did mean I was out of bed 3 times to put it back in her mouth, but 3 minutes to do that, compared to 57 extra minutes of sleep - I'll take it. I got her up (she is always very happy in the morning, lots of smiles, she seemed quite hungry), started to feed her and after just a few ounces of milk, back in her milk coma...I tried everything to keep her up, but no, she wanted to grow her little brain some more and sleep. So, I put her in the swing at the end of the couch, I grabbed my pillow and we both drifted off for a nap.

  • And NAP I did. I was awakened by Darren (who was under the weather today and home for the day) around 9:30. Darren had been sleeping in the basement, I was in the back part of our house - I only say this to give you a visual that Greta and I were not directly above Darren...Well, I guess Greta had been screaming, screeching, going insane. Poor little thing filled her diaper - obviously woke up, and I DIDN'T HEAR HER! My head was three couch cushions from her and I didn't hear a thing. Darren, without having a monitor, heard her a floor away, came up, rescued her, changed her, and was bringing her back out to where I was. I woke up finally, and asked if she was just getting up, he explains what I had missed and questioned why he didn't wake me - he said he thought I was dead. Now, I did laugh at this comment...But all day now, I keep thinking, why didn't he check my breathing earlier, I realize Greta needed her diaper changed, but a little shake could have ensured I was not dead, just in an exhaustive coma...he could have given me CPR or something...will have to discuss this a bit more. As for my hearing, all I can say is, I was sleeping on my good ear, just goes to prove my bad ear is still bad (for those that don't know me well - about 8 years ago I blew my ear drum on a flight coming home from the Dominican, lost about 50% hearing in it, it's so far down on the medical chart, I usually forget about it, or just don't hear the Dr's asking about it..ha) This also shows how wiped out I am. My new meds keep me up all day long, it's currently 12:52 and here I find myself on the computer, just getting tired.

  • Made an appearance at the office for a little going away party, Greta was a great gal, slept the entire time while being passed around.

  • Made an appearance to visit friends at Service Canada - started to stir, escaped before she let the entire floor know we were there.

  • Got out for an adult dinner, to hear all the happenings in every one's life - gosh, we all have a lot of stuff going on.

  • And of course, a little shopping. Thanks to Darren for all the help, despite being under the weather.

Toodles for now, sorry the blog was all over the place, I actually do feel tired all of a sudden, I'll blame it on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment