Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!

Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!
Daddy's Girl

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog.

Life greatly changed as Darren and I welcomed Greta Claire to the family. I started this blog 5 weeks pre-parenthood; I thought I would learn to Blog as a hobby and to occupy my time when I was awaiting baby and tried my best to continue through her first year of life to document some of the ups and downs, funny moments, scary moments, etc. While I greatly enjoy sharing our adventures, it has been hard to stay committed to regular posts, but I certainly will do my best as our little girl is now 6 years old and full of comic relief, bright ideas and the most amazing quotes! So, enjoy the adventures of Gail and Greta, I somehow seem to find the most interesting things each day, so this is the truth blog, how things really are, what I'm really thinking and feeling....it could be interesting!



Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mommy Outing - Not for Me!

Erik and Greta had a movie date today - well, Amber and I went with them. Once a month Empire Theatre's opens the doors for Reel Babies, a chance for Mom's to get out to see a movie and you can take the babies. The volume is turned down low, soft lights are on...there was suppose to be changing tables and toys, etc according to the website but that part wasn't there, instead, there were about 40 mothers with 40 babies, newborn to a few years old out to see You Again. And AGAIN we shall not do!!! Not that it's shocking to me, but I'm really not the play date / Mommy get together type! I would much prefer to hire a sitter and go to the movies - that would be a fun play date!

Now, Amber and I did not hold out much hope that the two of us thought this would be a spectacular afternoon (oh yes, this was the first issue to start the day). I thought the movie was in the afternoon, at 1pm, however Amber called around 9ish to say, guess what, the movie is at 11am, talk about some quick moving and shaking...Greta was just getting up, I was actually just getting out of the shower, needed to pack up a bag, feed Greta, get dressed, make up on, all within a fairly short period of time...but I managed and got out the door on time and to the theatre in loads of time to get a good seat. It looked like it may be a tad promising.

We walk in and we hear what the movie experience would be like within seconds: WAHHHH, Sneeze, Cough, HACK, WHOOP. WHOOP (that is my translation for the kid who was damn well barking behind us with some kind of strange hacking cough that should have notified his mother not to take him out around other babies - but to each their own - I just covered Greta up with her mesh to try to keep a few germs out). So, we take our seats and Erik and Greta are golden...Greta is asleep, Erik is looking around the room and having a bottle. It seems loud, but we are confident when the movie starts all the kids in the room will hush and it will be a relaxing 2 hours just like real life at the movies. NOPE, not the case. The movie starts and so do the kids, it was as if they actually knew the movie was about to start, I'm not saying all babies were crying, just half, some were giggling, some were screaming with delight, others were howling, regardless of good or bad noise, you could not really hear the movie. Then I realized all these other good mommy's were talking to their kids, playing with toys, reading to them...hell, I went to watch a movie, I wasn't taking stuff to play with, I thought this was adult time that you just happened to take kids to. Within 2 minutes, Amber and I looked at each other and started to laugh, an uncomfy laugh that meant, we are not quite like the other Mommy's around us. We didn't look like we were enjoying the experience of being at the movies with babies. As other mothers were whispering sweet nothings in their little ones ears, I am now giving Greta the Riot Act on how she must behave and not embarrass me (oh yes, as the movie started, her little eyes opened). I am then thinking - why are the mothers not taking the screaming babies out of the room...but then I quickly realize...everyone is a mother in the room they are "suppose" to not mind the noise...I am in hell...okay, that is a tad of an exaggeration, hell would have been if Greta was screaming, pooping, barfing along with all the other babies. Our kids were pretty good, but it was not my cup of tea. I struggled to hear the movie, I seemed to watch other mothers, well, more like stare thinking if I stared long enough they would take the screaming child out of the theatre to settle them down, and I was looking at the attire of course of the other babies, some were dressed cute, but Erik and Greta were very well dressed for their outing! All in all, it was my first and last experience to Reel Babies. The funny thing is, I have no doubt, most of the mothers in the room are or will be monthly regulars who thought today was wonderful, a fun morning! I did try, I went thinking it sounded like it could work, but I figure if they really wanted to make it a special experience, let the mothers go to the movies and supply babysitters...that is my idea of a play date...you know, Mommy's play, Babies are watched by someone else!

I have decided since we have a lovely home theatre, that comfortably sits 5 all in lazy boy recliners, I'll host the next Movie Date, we'll order up a movie on the Movie Network, I'll cook the food and munchies, and the kids - well, we'll have stuff for them to do in the corner! I think it will be a much more enjoyable afternoon for the non-play date loving/ mommy outing person like me. Oh yes, should add, I did take Greta out of the theatre she was getting a bit fussy / hungry and I heard some "noise", including a smell, my nightmare...ahhh shit! Well, off I go to find the changing tables they said were there - but none to be found, it was my first time in 3.5 months I needed to change Greta in a public place and there was no changing table, so she was changed between two sinks in the girls bathroom (remember that next time you put your popcorn down in the bathroom ladies!!!)...I did clean up, but others may not have! Thankfully, it was a false alarm, no messes to clean up, PHEW!

Besides this experience today, life seems to be flying by. Greta is 3.5 months today. We took a drive to NB to surprise Haley for her 11th birthday on Monday and ended up spending the night and I shopped, shopped and shopped.

I have had a request to do a NH shopping entry - it's coming...I'll get my thoughts together and can't wait to share my favorite things about New Hampshire - stay tuned...it will be a non baby entry - as everyone knows, Baby's and NH are just not a fun mix!



Erik and Greta
October 6, 2010



1 comment:

  1. Oh my I with you and Amber - I couldn't cope with something like that. I like 2 kids together at the most - 3 tops. And I love grocery shopping - it goes with my love of food - and when some kid screams and cries in the grocery store - I wonder also, why don't they take the baby out - but I guess they have to eat too... oh and the folks at work don't mind at all getting treats - Darren is quite proud to pass them around as they are sooooooo good.

    ReplyDelete