Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!

Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!
Daddy's Girl

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog.

Life greatly changed as Darren and I welcomed Greta Claire to the family. I started this blog 5 weeks pre-parenthood; I thought I would learn to Blog as a hobby and to occupy my time when I was awaiting baby and tried my best to continue through her first year of life to document some of the ups and downs, funny moments, scary moments, etc. While I greatly enjoy sharing our adventures, it has been hard to stay committed to regular posts, but I certainly will do my best as our little girl is now 6 years old and full of comic relief, bright ideas and the most amazing quotes! So, enjoy the adventures of Gail and Greta, I somehow seem to find the most interesting things each day, so this is the truth blog, how things really are, what I'm really thinking and feeling....it could be interesting!



Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Shoppers Guide

So the time has come to give my 2010 Shopping Mecca Guide to my fellow USA shoppers...This has been a special request by a North Conway novice, so let me put on my professional shopping hat (who am I kidding, it's always on) and give you a few pointers!!!

I must start by saying, cross border shopping is the way to go, I certainly do my share for the PEI and NB Economy, so I don't feel overly guilty, but there is something about the deals in the USA, the different shops, outlets, restaurants that just make me smile a bit bigger.

So, off we go to Maine and New Hampshire.

For my NB / PEI and NS friends, you are most likely crossing at the NB / Calais Border, there is now a new border crossing, but I do prefer to cross at the old one and the reason being, one store called Marden's. Now, believe me, Marden's looks like a whole in the wall, it's not overly attractive, but if you look (and I admit it's hit and miss) you have potential to find some gems. I have found shoes, books, decorations, but it's the seasonal stuff I aim to find, last year I bought Xmas bags and wrap so cheap, it was about 80% cheaper than what I would have paid at home. I remember being told to stop in and walked in the door and thought, okay, the person knows nothing about me and my shopping habits, it looked like a dive, but wow, did I find some deals, so now it's a must for me. From there, we do our usual stop for cheap USA gas at the Irving, and then on to Subway for lunch...how is that for creatures of habit. Now, here is the deal on meals - don't waste your time on food - you are there to shop!! Oh yes, go the bathroom now, the airline route has very few spots for Bathroom Breaks!

I must pause here, I'm starting this blog over, I hit publish, I had so much written out and lost it and it didn't save...so believe me, what you will find below is not as detailed as what my original post was...for now, I'm going to send along some links and give you a few of my favorite spots.

We usually stop in Bangor, tons of great stores, Kohls, Target, Burlington Coat Factory, the Bangor Mall, even the super Walmart is a must stop ( you name it, they sell it)... Bangor is really easy to get around, the stores are quite central and convenient and I know you will enjoy your stop! But food is what is on my mind when I think of Bangor...let me suggest Bugaboo Creek - and definitely get the blooming onion - I've been craving the 5000 calories for months...can't wait! It will make you sleep well after a long day of shopping! One thing I love about the USA - Lemonade...all the restaurants have it, low calorie or regular, some have various flavours...my pop intake is lowered drastically as I get lemonade everywhere.. They even have a gluten free menu. Now, don't be shocked, I don't eat meat, but this is a steak house, there is something for everyone.
http://www.bugaboocreek.com/


Augusta Maine is right off the highway and worth a stop in, a huge Kohls store that I always find good deals at, a sports store, Bath and Body Works, a few outlets, and lots of restaurants...and a nice break or central location to stay. But for us, off to North Conway we go.

I love everything about New Hampshire, I feel more at home there than most places, maybe because I seem to recognize the staff at the various stores (are you ready for this, there is a retired gentleman originally from Fredericton) who works at Banana Republic, I took him down some poppies last year and pins...after going so often, you really do remember people, I know they don't remember me...but that is okay, they are still friendly and like to take my money. Settlers Green is outlet heaven, you park the car and everything in there in a compound....check out the stores. http://www.settlersgreen.com/ For kids, Carters and the Childrens Place have insane deals and great discount racks...you can't not stop, even if you don't have kids, if you have kids to buy for, get your butt in the stores. I always find good deals at the Gap and Banana Republic...you have to know your prices for most stores, but believe me, you will be paying less at both of these stores. If you are looking for hair products, the hair shop has amazing discounts on items, Nike has great deals and well...just shop! It's like money is no object when you are down there.

But don't just stop at the outlets, the Christmas Tree Shop is right across the street - Don't you just love a bargain...gosh I love that jingle! And TJ Maxx right beside it. For the pet lover, head up the main street and there is a great pet store, with the owners pets guarding and greeting the shop...downtown, there are wonderful jems to discover. Zeb's General Store http://www.zebs.com/ is a must stop, even if you are just going to look around, it's such a neat store and great photo opportunity with the bear sitting outside on the porch. You will find some wonderful local establishments, primitive decor, leather shops, 10 cent store (although nothing of course is 10 cents), but it's just a nice walk. Check out the old Conway Train Station too...

Eating is not an issue in North Conway, tons of restaurants...one of my fav's. Are you ready...Friendly's! I just like it! But check out a few of the local establishments. Darren swears Delaneys has the best pulled pork sandwiches ever. In the summer there can be an hour wait to get in, no doubt with the busy November shopping weekend you will see a wait, but it should be worth it. http://www.delaneys.com/

And if you are looking for a more formal dining experience, about 15 minutes outside of North Conway, in Albany, NH is where Darren and I got married, at the Darby Field Inn, with the night sky going dark so early, you may not be able to enjoy the mountain views unless you go for a delicious breakfast, but the fine dining will not disappoint... http://www.darbyfield.com/

So, these are a few suggestions, anyone travelling in the coming weeks will definitely understand my love for USA shopping...and stop at the border and pay your duty. It's worth it, Islanders pay 5%...make sure they mark your purchases as clothing, you are allowed $400 each for under a week but over 48 hours...not nearly enough, but when you are just paying 5%, believe me, better to be fairly honest and let them know what you spent instead of them searching the car. Oh, and stop for liquor on the way home...it's just too cheap!

Enjoy your travels, and be safe! Oh yes, since this is Greta's blog - I must give her one little sentence - she won't be coming with us...she will be enjoying a weekend in NB with her cousin Haley, Aunt Sharon and Nana and Grampie...there is a sign at the NH border - it says, no kidlets allowed if you want to enjoy your shopping experience!!! HA!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gail, I didn't get a chance to read your blog before we left - we just got here - we are staying at the hotel you recommended in one of your past blogs - Golden Gable - they know you hear LOL!!! It's a beautful spot - we are going to freshen up and head out for Settler's Green...
    here is our blog if you would like to see how we are getting along - I will update tonight after we get back.
    http://northconwayoctober2010.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say hi to Jan...and yes, they know me well!!! Have a wonderful time, sorry I was late getting this up, enjoy your stay at the Golden Gables and all the wonderful things New Hampshire has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can alone accept that these are the Hogan scarpe that Brandy asked about which I begin a additional afterwards that post. It keeps up a accurate alternation of bound editions committed to such things as Black History Ages and the 5 boroughs of New York (the closing appear just endure month).

    ReplyDelete