Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!

Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!
Daddy's Girl

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog.

Life greatly changed as Darren and I welcomed Greta Claire to the family. I started this blog 5 weeks pre-parenthood; I thought I would learn to Blog as a hobby and to occupy my time when I was awaiting baby and tried my best to continue through her first year of life to document some of the ups and downs, funny moments, scary moments, etc. While I greatly enjoy sharing our adventures, it has been hard to stay committed to regular posts, but I certainly will do my best as our little girl is now 6 years old and full of comic relief, bright ideas and the most amazing quotes! So, enjoy the adventures of Gail and Greta, I somehow seem to find the most interesting things each day, so this is the truth blog, how things really are, what I'm really thinking and feeling....it could be interesting!



Tuesday, October 8, 2013

What to write, what to say, what to do....

I can no longer make excuses for not writing, it is not that I don't enjoy writing a blog post, but lately, laziness, lack of creativity, lack of energy all join forces and I have gone months again without writing a post.  Certainly not for a lack of topics, while our life may not be overly exciting, I am sure I had enough things to poke fun at or discuss.

But where to start...ummm.

Greta


  • Greta had an amazing time during our August holiday to Maine and New Hampshire, and I think Darren and I both can say it was a successful trip.  While I usually go to shop til you drop, this trip was more about Greta, mixed with a little bit of shopping.  She actually proved to be a very good shopping partner, no Lisa or Renilda mind you, but still, very impressive for three.  Doesn't hurt that if she touched something I bought it for her, but that isn't the point, we all know she is spoiled beyond reason, she didn't have any meltdowns, no embarrassing moments, she didn't point out the "friends of Walmart" worthy patrons and make a comment like, "Mommy, why is that man wearing a bra and see through top at Walmart", phew, would hate to embarrass a customer like that....overall, she gets a gold star in my books.  
  •  The highlight of the trip by far was Storyland, a mini Disney (well, very much MINI) but to a three year old, it may have been the real deal.  I was equally impressed.  It is a theme park with storybook characters, the main attraction, the pumpkin coach ride that took us up to Cinderella's castle, where Cinderella greeted us, she was almost leaping out of the Coach, I had the camera ready to snap a pic of her running up to her idol and wrapping her little arms around her legs and not letting go, that however wasn't quite the scene.  It was more, "come on Greta, other boys and girls want to see Cinderalla, this is your chance"...this comment as she has her arms wrapped around my knees, so alas, we got the picture, with me hugging Cinderella with a terrified Greta in my arms.  Thankfully, she still says this was the best part of her summer, so in her eyes, I take that to mean she hugged her!  We did have to do the Coach a few times!  Despite being shy, she really loved watching the other kids, danced in the aisles at the musical shows, loved the circus acts and is a ride junkie.  Mommy, not so much, lets just say, there is no need for this Mommy to go on a Whale Ride that bounces up and down, while it was adorable to hear her giggle and grin ear to ear, when you almost upchuck post ride as the kids all run around saying lets do it again, you feel like a tool! 
  • We really tried to make the best out of the summer, I don't think there was one weekend that we sat still,  there was always a great event on the Island, or a place to discover, we didn't make it to the beach much, but when we did go she loved it, my ass is still trying to recover from the Belfast Corn Maze ride in the barrels, ironically just yesterday when I picked Greta up from the sitter we were taking a back road to home that is an extremely bumpy dirt road and she said, "Mommy, this is just like that bumby barrel ride where your bum got hurt, my bum didn't get hurt"...no joke, that is because she was sitting on me!  I took the brunt of the pain!  Still a great adventure.
  • We were swimming lots, soccer was a fairly successful sport, she at least spent more time on her feet than sitting in the grass picking flowers, however she certainly still had her moments.  Greta's dislike for children does sadly continue, she very much likes her personal space and doesn't do well with little ones touching her, even when they are just being loving kids.  We need to work on this, although the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I still remember the karate chop I perfected when people tried to touch my prego bump.  So, I really can't blame her!  Heck, I may even encourage it more.  
  • That brings us to the latest activity, while I always sit back in amazement at the kids who are in multiple activities, I just don't have the energy, nor do I feel Greta needs to have a busier social life than I at three years old, so we will be a one activity at a time family...that said, our latest adventure is Step Dance Class.  Talk about cute.  She won't leave the house without a tutu and is doing great listening to the teacher and with such a small class, only 4 (and as of tonight, I hear just 3), I think it will be something enjoyable for her.  Of course, she refused to go this past Sunday because she was afraid of an overly loveable little gal that liked to enter in to her personal space bubble, but you win some and you lose some...Mommy would have made her go, Daddy was home with her and refused to take her when she freaked. 
  •  And to finish up the ode to Greta, she is one smart little cookie (although she quickly corrects me when I call her that and says she is a Girl!).  She is learning to count in French (my limited french speaking ability has been passed long, after this, she will have to watch TV), she is a whiz at the computer, iPad, iPhone, sadly, I have to admit, better than I on all the apps, she has learned to spell and type her name and has managed to type in Mickey and Dore in the YouTube Search box to find a video, quite impressive and scary at the same time, thankfully we had them marked as favorites, otherwise who knows what she would have found!  
The Parents

  • We are boring and our money all goes to Greta!  Enough said...ha!
  • Hockey and football is returned, so while I see Darren's truck in the driveway, I rarely see or talk to him, I did check on him once in the basement to see if he was alive, he was, no rotten smell in the house of a rotting body, so all is good, I suspect I may see him a tad more in the spring!  
  • We are in the 40th year countdown, Darren has 22 days remaining until the big 40, I have less than 6 months, seriously, I remember when 40 seemed so old, now I'm thinking, what was all the fuss about...Of course, I may have a break down as it rolls around, so I'll hold out my full thoughts until it is actually here.  But I must say, there is a reason why people should have kids earlier, as 40 year old bones, energy levels, patience levels are not quite that of a 20 something...
  • I'm still sick, but I'm still here, hitting my 40th bday was my goal, sad but true.  But I'm surviving somewhat, I'm exhausted, stressed, disguisted, disappointed in too many things to count, but I'm on this side of the ground, so I guess I should shut my mouth.  That said, my invite only funeral list is getting smaller, can't say it enough, nothing like having a kid or being sick to make you realize who matters and who doesn't, and what matters and what doesn't.  My tolerance level is much, much smaller than even a year ago and while I realize I have a rough road ahead, I am thankful for those who have been there with a friendly word, encouragement, positive vibes and sometimes just a hello.  Ha, you made the list!!!!!  Not going to do a sad sappy I'm dying blog tonight, but life really is short, and you just never do know what tomorrow will bring.  
So, that is the blog, nothing too funny, definitely not exciting.  The fish is still alive, 1 year, 1 month and 6 days, it still is my greatest accomplishment of the past 13 months, so that deserves a notable mention in the blog, and I had a great time shopping with two co-workers in Moncton this past weekend, sadly, we collectively bought so much, my stuff is in my Mothers truck in Moncton as there was no room to bring things home, it was just what the Dr ordered (literally, she said I needed a shopping trip - how awesome is that).

All for now, hope I will be back sooner than later, Toodles.  



No comments:

Post a Comment