Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!

Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!
Daddy's Girl

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog.

Life greatly changed as Darren and I welcomed Greta Claire to the family. I started this blog 5 weeks pre-parenthood; I thought I would learn to Blog as a hobby and to occupy my time when I was awaiting baby and tried my best to continue through her first year of life to document some of the ups and downs, funny moments, scary moments, etc. While I greatly enjoy sharing our adventures, it has been hard to stay committed to regular posts, but I certainly will do my best as our little girl is now 6 years old and full of comic relief, bright ideas and the most amazing quotes! So, enjoy the adventures of Gail and Greta, I somehow seem to find the most interesting things each day, so this is the truth blog, how things really are, what I'm really thinking and feeling....it could be interesting!



Monday, May 31, 2010

Basement Widow

I have heard of Golf Widows (been there and done that), I have heard of Fishing Widows (it's creeping in to my life as well), but I am the first to declare, I'm a Basement Widow.

You see, Darren has his basement, I have the other 2600 sq feet of the house. I didn't mean for it to happen (well, maybe I did), but when we bought our house two years ago, it needed a "boys room", you know the room where movie posters could go on the wall, sports memorabilia could be scattered around, the black leather lazy boys and gadgets could collect and the TV could be hung on the wall...it just didn't seem appropriate to have it upstairs and Darren wanted his "space"... So, we renovated and made a BOYS Room. Darren however always had his office upstairs - that was until Little Greta Claire threatened it... you see, my niece Haley has a room in our house, as does my mother, but the original master bedroom was Darren's office and "clothing room". Darren didn't want to give up his room, Haley didn't want to give up her room, but one of them had to bend. Darren was pretty head strong and fought a good fight, but after a New Hampshire trip that filled a truck with baby clothes and items, he recognized the fact that the baby needed the two closets that were in his office and the bigger room...So, Haley won, I lost out (as I had to give up half of my armoire and one full closet in the Master Bedroom) and Darren, well, I think he has it pretty good. Darren moved his office to the basement, but that is where I become a widow. I never see him. He walks through the door after work, and walks through the foyer, in to the kitchen and down the stairs...he stays there, sometimes for the night, other times until the bathroom calls and every once in a while, he'll pass by for a snack in the kitchen. Hence, the Basement Widow.

He has the ultimate room, Big Screen TV, Lazy boy couch and chairs, movie collection, wine collection and now his computer...no reason to come upstairs. SO, what would any good basement widow do - Set up a baby corner in the basement of course.

Darren has been given a Diaper Caddy fully stocked with wipes, diapers, creams, good smelling stuff, a friend has lent us a bassinet that will be in the "baby's corner" of his basement and Darren and Greta can be basement dwellers as I enjoy sleep upstairs. Sounds like the perfect option. And since I don't really get to see Darren and have to resort to conversations via Facebook and Email as he doesn't come up stairs and I'm too chubby and uncomfy to waddle downstairs, he'll be reading about this lovely contribution to his room when he reads my blog. Now, I wonder if I can get away with painting one wall pink down there????? A little pink and brown toile in amongst the Boston Bruin and Minnesota Vikings sports decor could spice things up down there. Stay tuned for pictures folks, my mind is on decorating overload!

I can only imagine Darren is searching all the lovely diamond stores on the Internet, trying to find the perfect present for me in recognition of Greta's arrival. So, he may not read this blog until tomorrow at work, so to his co-workers who are reading the blog - please let him know Babies like Basements too!!!

2 comments:

  1. You need to have your own column in a magazine, you are priceless! Love your writing style and your comments are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll see absolutely a few articles central the food of Abercrombie clothing , which accept been consistently admired as a awfully favored.We will accord you accept it is an Abercrombie Fitch Shorts which is more getting accepted as the hot adopted tool.You may become complete adventurous person, artlessly by acrimonious your a lot of dearly admired Abercrombie Fitch Polos accouterment shirt.

    ReplyDelete