Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!

Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!
Daddy's Girl

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog.

Life greatly changed as Darren and I welcomed Greta Claire to the family. I started this blog 5 weeks pre-parenthood; I thought I would learn to Blog as a hobby and to occupy my time when I was awaiting baby and tried my best to continue through her first year of life to document some of the ups and downs, funny moments, scary moments, etc. While I greatly enjoy sharing our adventures, it has been hard to stay committed to regular posts, but I certainly will do my best as our little girl is now 6 years old and full of comic relief, bright ideas and the most amazing quotes! So, enjoy the adventures of Gail and Greta, I somehow seem to find the most interesting things each day, so this is the truth blog, how things really are, what I'm really thinking and feeling....it could be interesting!



Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Advice: What is Right...Wrong...and Crazy.

In the world of too many prego books, way too much on the Internet and every person who has ever had a child, thought about having a child, looked at a child giving advice, what in the heck do you listen too? Well, a few posts back, Darren said, we'll wing it...and I think I like that advice more than most. Not that I haven't been appreciative of the advice - lord, I know nothing - but there is just so much, and it's all conflicting...

I'm not a reader, but have reviewed stories on the net and have heard stories about charting out the exact day baby's can start to eat a cracker, carrots or meat on a calendar, and other sites say quiet is best and always pick a crying baby up immediately - because the expert of the day said that would give their child the best start in life. But who really is an expert? There are a few reasons (okay, a lot of reasons) why we are not going to be parents of the year, and no doubt, we'll get quite a few "looks" from the "expert" friends and family, but we are going with the goal of Baby and Parent Survival.

Here are a few things that have changed over the years, so hard to keep up with the news of the day:

1) No Bumper Pads - We survived, my niece survived, all of my friends kids survived, but low and behold a few years ago, they say, bumper pads are dangerous. Well, they are also cute and will prevent the baby from poking a leg and arm through the side of the crib, they are remaining in the crib for now. And why are they still selling them in the crib sets - here and the USA? Last I noticed, not too many newborns were crawling to the edge of the bumper pads at a day old...and how about the bassinets...most have a newborn in a bassinet for a period of time, they are significantly smaller, fully lined or padded, would they not be considered more dangerous? Who do you listen to? They haven't been banned, what are the pro's and con's?

2) Food - I distinctly remember my niece at a few weeks old eating cereal, probably in her bottle, but nonetheless, it certainly wasn't at the 6 month mark they currently say is the correct time frame, if this baby is hungry and needs more food - she is getting it!

3) Soothers - Greta has a collection waiting for her - I think they are the best invention of the modern era - Enough Said. Last I noticed, most babies are not born with a mouthful of teeth, so I'll take my chances that my poor parenting of giving her a soother won't screw her mind up too much, won't ruin her smile and won't confuse her from taking a bottle, and, thankfully we have a good medical plan - braces may be possible but worth it!

4) TV - I watch too much TV, but wow, the kids today watch so much, I won't say never, as I certainly think a little Family Channel and cartoons is a beneficial babysitter here and there, BUT, just pointing out when I grew up we watched cartoons on Saturday mornings....we actually played with Barbie's, Cabbage Patch Kids, Dukes of Hazard (ha) and were outside - amazing concept, when did life change so much!

5) Harnesses - Okay, a baby leash! I love them - what a grand idea...but they seem to be so frowned upon, but not by moi. Nothing worse than seeing a parent panic in a store because their kid escaped their sight, I'll take the stares when I'm "walking the dog and kid".

6) Discipline - have people forgotten about discipline, why do people no longer beat their kids - some need it...This time out crap, and "are you having a bad day - lets buy you a present to make you behave"...give me a break! Wrap the kids on the damn hands, tell them no....we all survived and don't necessarily feel the world owes us because we were born. And, I SWEAR and I truly mean it, I will NEVER, EVER, EVER go to someones house with a kid and say, if you don't start behaving we will leave and not do it - I'm not for false threats - we'll leave! It will be my gift to my friends!

Oh, that will stir up the emotions and opinions a bit, but all these sites are so confusing, we had lead painted cribs that we chewed on, no car seats (lord, I don't even think there were seat belts in the car if our parents wanted to strap us in), we were certainly disciplined and hit when needed (threatening to call Social Services meant my mother said, "lets give them a good reason to come and make it worth their trip"), our walkers had wheels on them and we went right for the stairs, and we didn't have 600 channels of TV to watch. So, we'll wing it....

**** Addition to my post made this afternoon - Darren has warned me to "BE CAREFUL"...I'll piss people off with my Blog...if I piss you off - please, don't feel you have to read it, I can't tell who reads it or doesn't...I'm not writing stuff to upset people, just giving a few thoughts and opinions, certainly not about how others do things, so by all means, please don't read in to comments they are not about you, they are about ME! Believe me, this is nothing, wait until I come up with the right words for the Religion Post! As I said up above - I know nothing, only can go up from zero knowledge as we WING IT! ****

5 comments:

  1. Love all your blog posts Gail! I think your guys' plan to just "wing it" is awesome! Too many people today are so dependant on these dang baby books and what the "experts" say that they can't think for themselves anymore! You and I seem to be raised similar, we know right from wrong and darn it if we were being bad we knew it! Based on the lack of disipline with the majority of the kids today is why there are so many problems! I have watched a friend of mine constantly baby her child day in and out, "where's my kisses;who loves mommy" ugh sickening! Plus- never gets yelled at or disiplined - because "she's only young and knows no better"! Ha! we can just guess how she will turn out! (I believe the kid is entering grade one and still being slobbered over!) ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was my first time posting from my iPhone - sorry about the poor Grammar! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine too Sarah - thanks for following!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking affliction not to abrasion gold bargain Pandora jewelry uk adornment with the blow of added harder article or friction. Achievement as authentic gold is soft, simple to wear. If agnate problems occurred not alone debilitated the aftereffect of collapsed and appearance accessories, as able-bodied as accident of weight.

    ReplyDelete