Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!

Someday my prince will come, but Daddy will always be King!
Daddy's Girl

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog.

Life greatly changed as Darren and I welcomed Greta Claire to the family. I started this blog 5 weeks pre-parenthood; I thought I would learn to Blog as a hobby and to occupy my time when I was awaiting baby and tried my best to continue through her first year of life to document some of the ups and downs, funny moments, scary moments, etc. While I greatly enjoy sharing our adventures, it has been hard to stay committed to regular posts, but I certainly will do my best as our little girl is now 6 years old and full of comic relief, bright ideas and the most amazing quotes! So, enjoy the adventures of Gail and Greta, I somehow seem to find the most interesting things each day, so this is the truth blog, how things really are, what I'm really thinking and feeling....it could be interesting!



Friday, June 18, 2010

The Trickle Effect

So folks...so, so, so.

Let me tell you, if you want to shred a little dignity and give your husbands a heart attack, start to leak amniotic fluid!

Now, the jury is still out, did I just piss my pants twice in a matter of 30 minutes, or did my water "start" to break. I have watched too many movies and too many TV shows when Water Breaking means a gush of water flows from the body, some idiot then walks in the room and trips, and they all look to the ground and say, AHHH, my water just broke! Of course, this water breaking is always at a big event, or the grocery store, or a rock concert.

Well, after going to lunch and running a few errands, I come home and gush...holy frig a'moly...well, that isn't quite what I said. Actually, and very ironically, I was somewhat calm and somewhat ticked off I was wearing the only jean capri's I have and it's a hot and sunny day on the Island, and I didn't want to change...but alas, I change and hit the internet...(You know, the thing most normal people would do when they think their water has just broken.) I learn that water breaking can happen in a variety of ways, a slow steady leak, a gush, a flood, I take the advice of lying down for 30 minutes and wait to see if it happens again...I get up and yes indeed, it does. So, I break down and call Labour and Delivery - apologizing for calling and say, "I'm sure this is nothing at all", but give them the play by play of what is occuring. I'm somewhat praying they are not going to tell me that my bladder control is no longer and that I'm peeing my pants! The nurse is very reassuring and kind and says, NOPE, this is what can happen, come in...oh, and Bring your Bag! I then have to admit, I don't even know where to go, we didn't do baby classes, I never went for the tour and since I was going right to the OR next Thursday, no need to find out where L&D was.

So, I calmly call Darren and say, you better come home..he was suppose to be at the grocery store, but I guess he was just leaving work...He then calls in amongst a PEI Traffic JAM (aka every damn road has construction, so every person is on one road) and well, although I don't say, I'm just getting out of the shower - attempting to shave my legs (not easy with a watermelon stuck to your frame), putting laundry in the dryer, running around trying to do my makeup (yes vain), and more vain I plug in the straight iron and start to straighten my hair that has a pony tail ring. So, check, I look good for 9.5 months prego. Call Mom and Dad, tell them not to panic nor to jump in the car, as it could be nothing but tell them we are heading to the hospital.

Check, bag is packed,
Check, snacks are packed,
Check, Camera in case the kid is cute - is packed
....shit, the phone isn't charged...

Then Darren is home, he switches to a T-Shirt, looks a tad pale, and off we go. As we get in the truck and before it's put in reverse, Darren clutches both hands on the steering wheel and admits, he almost puked 5 times on the way home...lovely, maybe I should drive!

Anyway, long story short, we are back home...contractions were pretty regular on the monitor, the nurses thought I would be staying, but after the Dr check, the fluid gush has stopped for now...As I'm having a section regardless, I don't have to wait for timed 5 minute contractions, but I am now officially starving..I'm afraid to eat! I know I can't have food prior to surgery, so I ate 8 hours ago and could go to surgery tonight...but lord, I can't go 5 days without food.

Now, other small hiccup...my theatre tickets have been booked since November for tomorrow night...this child will be grounded immediately for ruining my plans!!! We are not starting off on a good foot. I do think the nurses shot me a bit of a look when I said I couldn't stay because I had to go see Buddy Holly tomorrow night...and they did make a comment about my pedicure, manicured nails, hair and make up and looked at Darren and said, "we are guessing she has been shopping". He just laughed but I'm not sure how to take it!!!! Do I just come across like I spend money like water. Oh well, better than looking drunk or like a drug addict.

So, we are playing the waiting game. As of 9:27, I'm in a bit of discomfort, have to admit...could be just plain hunger, could be labour, could be me going insane and directing the issues from the brain to the stomach...so, wait and see! The Dr. on call meets my approval, so I'm good to go and the trial run was good for me, it wasn't quite as scary as I thought - granted, it's no TLC Baby Story or movie either!

1 comment:

  1. Oris also did a nice job with the designer watches hands that aren’t too thin - sometimes that were an issue in actual 70's Panerai watches . I can't decide whether I am a bigger fan of the orange or green trim on the replica Rolex watches .

    ReplyDelete